Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nun With a Walker

Today I was praying with my head in my hands in front of the St. Joseph statue at a local nursing home for elderly nuns. About 20 minutes in, I heard the shuffle and creak of a walker coming up near me. I felt a hand on my shoulder as a white haired nun with a medal around her neck asked me if I was OK.

I said I was fine, but she said, “Yea, but you’re still not really OK are you?” Yea…no I guess I’m not. She hugged me and simply said, “Lay it at their feet,” gesturing to St. Joseph holding baby Jesus. “They will take care of everything.” And she shuffled back to her pew.

“They will take care of everything.” Do I believe it? Where is my Faith? Am I stuck drowning in the Sea, or wishing my Savior would wake up during the storm, or do I hear the words “Be calm; be still” and take them into my heart?

Earlier this year, I lived with a family for a week while I looked for housing upon my return from Canada. They were doing a surrender novena. At the end of each day was the proclamation of faith, “O Jesus I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything!”

What does that mean? Life is hard. There is suffering. But there are glimpses of hope in people—even strangers-- who walk with me. It is really Jesus who walks with me. And He says, “I am with you. Be not afraid.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment