Friday, November 29, 2013

Thankful for Alaskan Joy

I am thankful for friends who encourage me that God holds everything in His hands as He makes miracles.

At Mass, the deacon noted that the first Thanksgiving meal wasn’t a feast. It was rather a celebration of getting through the winter with the help of friends.

Last Thanksgiving the rest of my community ate bread and cheese for Friday fast, but my name was drawn with a few others to go to a nearby pro-life dinner. (I had sacrificed Thanksgiving and a pro-life dinner at home and God gave me both back.)

It snowed that evening. On the way home, one of my traveling companions, an Alaskan man with wild hair, scraggly beard and owl-like bushy eyebrows framing his glittery, wonder-filled eyes, sang in a throatier, deeper Woody Guthrie style the Hail Mary. I’d never heard the melody before. It was grounded, but ethereal like wind blowing across the icy tundra.

Late in life, he gave up house and career to build a rural cabin and become a hermit. I am thankful that simplicity taught him joy.

He was the first to notice flowers in the spring -- “Have you seen that little red one on a bush near the house it yet?” The one to smile and point with excitement at falling snow sparkling in the sunlight… A friend of solitude and music with a flair for Johnny Cash’s Ghost Riders in the Sky.

That man had peace about him – and simple, humble joy. When we said the Our Father at Mass, he would pray loudly and clearly with his eyes shut as he held his hands to heaven in total surrender.

A friend emailed me today, “Recently, I had a sense of the Father having ALL things and absolutely EVERYTHING in His hands….With that, came the sense of Him saying, 'you don't ask me.'  As in, 'ask me'.”

This email reminded me of my Alaskan friend, and so now I’m askin’…God, if I hold up my empty hands and surrender again will you give me again everything I need? Can you help me practice gratitude for everything you give me – little flowers, sparkling snow, and suffering?

Lord, I trust in you. Thank you for holding me in your hands, for the memories and people who loved me on Thanksgiving.



No comments:

Post a Comment