Thursday, February 13, 2014

God Sees

A parent at school told me yesterday about a sign she likes. It says: “God sees.” She explained that the connotation is not a negative judgmental one, but that God, our loving Father, sees everything and gazes on us tenderly because we are His children.

Children and I gaze at each other all day. Sometimes, I write down the funny things that happen because it reminds me to delight in them more. They bring such joy to my life. 

Do I see myself as a child of God and think about Him delighting in my life? I meditate on that question more easily when I gaze upon children who make me laugh.

I went into the cafeteria yesterday morning and one of my students walked up to me grinning wildly. I bent down to his level so he could share his excitement.

“Guess what?! My little brother learned how to go number two! He got a special cupcake,” he exclaimed.

Another student’s ears perk up, “Cupcake?!”

… "No, we’re not eating cupcakes at school today”…and “Wow, that is special! Thank you for sharing that news!” (I’m assuming and hoping that the little brother’s known how to go number two; but perhaps he just learned how to do it “on the big boy potty.”)

Another little girl brought in meat counter tickets from the grocery store. I always thought those things were treasures as a child too.

The Kindergarten teacher had a student deliver brown bags for my kids to use in collecting their Valentine’s. I told him to tell her, “Thanks a million.”

He announced in his classroom doorway, so half the first floor could hear, “She said, ‘Thanks a million!’”

Clearly, he’d never heard the expression and wanted to test it out full force.

My white board marker is scented. The students brought supplies in the beginning of the year, and I switched my marker recently. It took me a few days of wondering why my classroom smelled of chocolate near the white board before I read the marker, “Expo Scents Choco Mint.”

Every time I use it, which is multiple times a day, one of my students asks, “Hmm, why does it smell like chocolate in here?”

I might have switched markers…if she didn’t make me laugh every time she said it.

The other delight was this same student’s St. Valentine’s Day gift to the class…chocolate covered marshmallows with a card on top addressed to me, her teacher, “and my chums.”

All my students’ ears and eyes were checked by school nurses yesterday, the day we celebrated St. Valentine’s Day. (The date for this testing was changed because of the snow). My class recognized the fact that it took place yesterday as “a miracle!” because St. Valentine is known for curing a girl who was blind. What are the odds?


God sees. But do I see as He sees? St. Valentine, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment