Saturday, January 31, 2015

Northern Memory

A friend and I wrote this little song before we visited friends in a Catholic community up North last month.

Up North

We were tryin to write some lyrics and we almost missed our exit
We scrambled for directions that were written in the margins
Scribbled down oh so fast
To avoid roaming charges

I guess we should have written them before we crossed the boarder
But we were too distracted as we tried to cover over
The fruit we weren’t supposed to have
And expired registration

Oh we won’t hesitate no more, no more
It’s time to drive up North
Where there’s piles and piles of snow
At least we thought it would be so
Up North

We came right into dinner to some overstimulation
A wave of a reminder that it’s not simply vacation
I reckon it’s again our turn
To apron up and do dishes

I’d like to grab the one with the holly and the ivy
A seasonal reminder of the joy you’ll findy
As you scrub the pots and pans
And then scrub the scrubbies

Oh we won’t hesitate nine hours was short
Now we’ve arrived up North
Where there’s just a touch of snow,
But piles of clothes
In the 'ole laundeee

But seriously we gained a lot of stuff here from the laundry
And if I scorched your shirt
I knew you would forgive me
You taught me to be family
And to find my inner beauty

You civilized us city girls and now we’re one step closer
We can set the table
And nap when we’re supposed to
Sanctification must be just around the corner

Oh we won’t hesitate no more, no more
It’s time to leave up North
Where piles and piles of love have filled us up
We’ll soon explode if we don’t leave

Up North

No comments:

Post a Comment