Monday, December 9, 2013

Diamonds

A voice cries out in the desert: PREPARE THE WAY OF THE LORD!

John the Baptist pierced the culture with his prophecy, “He will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire.” He foretold the entrance into the world of Christ — the King, who shatters darkness and transforms suffering into diamonds.

Recently I imagined that Christ was filling the hole of suffering and sin in my heart with diamonds. He allowed each suffering that I endured to transform into a sharp, sparkling gem. Then He laid His tiny body down on top of them.

The diamonds cut into His back and legs, arms and neck, but He did not complain. Instead, He smiled. And the whole cavern was filled with magnificent iridescent light shot in a thousand directions.

A voice cries out in the wilderness, sharp and clear like a diamond. A baby cries in the night, piercing the cold darkness. A gift is given, a promise is made, a friend listens, a snowflake falls from the sky. All are diamonds, points of light where God enters and lives are changed forever.

How are diamonds made? Over billions of years at high pressure and extreme heat. They are found near the Earth’s surface after subterranean volcanic eruptions.

Diamonds are cut to catch light. They are polished to shine. They are sold as a sign of commitment.

My sister’s diamond sparkled when she announced her engagement today. She and her fiancé experienced and endured six years of joy and heat and pressure -- the soul shaping of a good relationship-- and this weekend, a volcanic eruption occurred. She opened her heart to prepare for a lifelong commitment with one big “Yes!”

Prepare the way of the Lord! What is the Lord’s way? Simple, light-filled, piercing and miraculous.

John cried out in the desert. Jesus cried out in a dark cold cave. Did anyone hear?

The census! The census! Register! Report! People crowed the streets and inns when Jesus was born. Their talk and movement filled the air-- the same that took in a tiny wail in the night. Did anyone notice?

Today, Christmas shoppers filed onto highways and swarmed malls. Their car exhaust filled the atmosphere --the same from which the first snowflake fell. Did anyone see it?

Then, the diamonds cascaded from the sky and piled high on the streets and cars and people hurrying by. And traffic slowed and became inconvenient. And perhaps some were angry or upset, but not the people in my neighborhood – for us, God appeared.

We marveled and looked. Two men stopped shoveling and smiled. Three kids sat in plastic sled dishes spinning in the street. Pedestrians called to each other and others walked silently with glowing eyes.

I caught a snowflake on my tongue and my friend laughed.

This same friend watched diamonds fall from my eyes this morning when I mourned the pain of untouched carbon in my heart. Her friendship cut through the darkness and she danced the ache with me, allowing the preceding pressure and heat to begin.

After a time, I know the volcanic eruption will occur. The sufferings turned diamonds will appear. The wounds brought to the surface, endured and healed will transmit radiant light from His smile.

Lord, help me to anticipate You like my sister awaits her wedding day. Help me to wait in the rush, listen and surrender. Help me to notice the small diamonds you give me everyday. Cut through the darkness and fill my heart with Your radiant love.



No comments:

Post a Comment