Sunday, December 22, 2013

Oil Change Miracle

Oil changes are on sale at the local Sunoco right now--God provided that sweet unforeseen deal and gave me some extra treats.

For one, the station's prominently displayed Time Magazine had Pope Francis on the cover. He's the publication's Person of the Year. Holla!

The second treat happened at checkout when the computers and credit card machine were down. I usually don't carry much cash so I wondered if I'd have enough money. 

I looked inside my blinging wallet that I bought at a trendy hip hop store a few years ago and pulled out the right amount of money.

"God is so good to me," I reflexively exclaimed.

To my surprise and great delight, the mechanic who leaned on the counter lit up and praised God too. "Amen!" He cheered.

That unexpected praise made my day.

It also made me wonder how I let the Lord work in my life...is my heart open to these little joys or do I get in the way? 

One of my students inspired this "getting in the way" meditation. He used our classroom Word Wall to write "Jesus" but my body blocked his view.

"You're in the way of Jesus," he said. "Can you move please?"

Profound.

Jesus, how do I get out of the way? And where do You want me to go?

Thoughts of negativity need to move out. Anything that's not the me made in Your image, also needs to go. 

And I need to run to you and beg for forgiveness. 

Two other students had a tiff at recess. They decided to make up during journal  time. 

"Friends again?" One boy asked as he stood up during the quiet writing period. (The disagreement was clearly a distraction from the task at hand).

The other boy turned around (he instinctively knew the question was addressed to him) and stuck out his hand.

"Yes. The earth is back to normal."

"Really?"

"Really."

The earth is back to normal...I just love that. What is normal? Forgiveness. Miracles. Love. That's the reality I need to re-see.

Another one of my students just got glasses --two pairs to alternate daily in a stylish pattern (and I guess in case one breaks).

Her face shone when one of the boys said she looked beautiful in her new specs. She flipped her hair behind her ear to offset her pink-outlined lens a bit more which only accentuated the pure joy on her mouth, cheeks, and eyes.

Beauty. Praise. The recognition of human dignity. God, help me to forgive and surprise me again with your love. And change my prescription, so I can see normal again.






No comments:

Post a Comment