Monday, December 9, 2013

Immaculate Conception


Today is the feast of the Immaculate Conception and Mary gave me all kinds of gifts.

My friend took my intentions on pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. He texted me a picture of a candle he lit at the same time that one of my prayers was answered.

Another friend prayed the Rosary with me at our work break.

At school, a mother visited with me as she played “Peek-a-Boo” with her child. “Where are you?” she cooed. “Peek-a-Boo! There you are!” The child giggled, stuck out her tongue and blew bubbles, drool and raspberries.

Another mother reflected that she could not imagine she would share life with a new little one this year. Now she is awed by the grace of God and the miracle of the baby she did not plan.

God breaks through. His plan is greatness. He gives gifts when I don't expect them and He runs to me on the feast of the woman who's stainless soul allowed God to touch fallen man. Mary's conception created an opening for the One who shatters sin and death. 

God asks me the same question the Peek-a-Boo mom asked her baby, and He asked Adam in the Garden of Eden. “Where are you?”

Ashamed and scared, I answer, “Hidden.” He replies, “Why would you do such a thing?” The Breath that created me is sucked in as It gasps in sadness, and I cry. Yet, in the midst of my brokenness, He has pity. His presence IS mercy, so He devises a plan... The Immaculate Conception.

Tonight I went to a revival at my Church. I listened to the deacon preach and he talked about Eucharistic adoration. I realized I was starving for Eucharistic adoration; “I wish we had that here,” I whispered to the woman next to me.

A minute later, Jesus was exposed on the altar. Then, the deacon processed Him through the aisles and He came to visit me. The priest invited us to follow Jesus right up to the altar. My Savior sprinted to me all because of one little whisper of my heart.

As I walked up the aisle, I had an image of myself as slave in line – chained for sale. I don’t share the lineage of African slavery as my black brothers and sisters do at Church, but I’ve been a slave to sin.

Last year, as I worked through slavery to some of my sins, a verse came to my mind, “I’m a dancin’ woman with chains on, but link by link you break a new dawn.”

Today was one of those broken links. At the end of the line, I walked onto the altar into a family. I was embraced by the Church whose strength is the Eucharist.

“In him we were also chosen… we who first hoped in Christ.” I was chosen to “exist for the praise of His glory” (Eph. 1)

How do I reclaim this freedom? Through Mary, my Queen. The Immaculate Conception. She is the gate of grace, the first monstrance to carry my Eucharistic Lord.

Eve committed Original Sin and gave it to me. Mary was conceived without any sin to hold Him who saves me.

On my way home, I listened to the song "He is With Us:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mEQS2fsWE

“Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.” (Lk: 1) “Hail full of grace,” You bring Him to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment