Monday, January 6, 2014

St. Andre and St. Joseph Tag Team

It's the feast of St. Andre Bessette, a consecrated brother and doorman, who attributed the miracles in his life to St. Joseph.

St. Andre emulated St. Joseph’s quiet humility. And he trusted St. Joseph because he knew the guardian of the Redeemer is a man of honor, a protector of virtue.

You’ve traveled with me for years, St. Joseph, but you showed up quite a lot these recent days.
I’m thankful that I saw a statue of you behind the bar at a pub….That my neighbors gave me a Christmas card with my favorite image of you on it, that your statue was situated behind a concrete development sign, that you were mentioned in a conversation with a friend, who attends St. Joseph’s parish, and in the story I read yesterday of a saint’s conversion at St. Joseph’s church.

My friend is praying a St. Joseph novena for me now. And you recently answered my novena for another friend’s job. I found your holy card randomly in a book, another friend worked night shift at St. Joseph’s hospital, and I got cake at school today in honor of you. You are faithful. I trust in your intercession and I love you.

Miracles. You put them in my life. You hang around now and I want to know why.

So we had a conversation and I asked you for a message. You’re simple. All I heard in my heart was: “Delight.” “Delight in the Lord.”

I looked at you in the Nativity set at that nursing home I like to visit. You gaze at the infant in the trough and your eyes shine with wonder and adoration. You simply take Him in.

You didn’t ask for your role. You didn’t trust it at first. But you accepted it.

You gave God permission to fulfill your dreams. You had a willing spirit. Your life is for everyone.

Recently I attended a funeral by chance. I drove around for an hour following a misguided GPS and missed Mass. I went to the nursing home chapel to pray and you made it happen, St. Joseph – a funeral MASS for Sr. Josephine.

The theme of her life was gratitude. I learned that she used words like: “very fulfilling, joyful, treasured, precious, blessed.” She trusted that whatever she was tasked with was the Lord’s will for her at that point in her life. 

Before she entered religious life, she was delayed for one year due to illness, but she persevered. Later, she had to stop her love of teaching, but she was missioned to music and fashioned a cello from a board and string to learn the finger placements.

She became quite accomplished, and her family gave her a real instrument in due time.

Ironically, Sr. Josephine picked the Gospel of John for her funeral Mass, which was celebrated on his feast day. “This is my body, which is given for you.”

I was grateful that she was a sister because I could attend her funeral not out of place. Her life was for everyone.

I watched Sr. Josephine get tucked into her coffin -- covered with a silk coverlet on her body and lace veil over her face. Soft Christmas piano music accompanied this ritual and I thought of Sr. Josephine resting her head on Jesus’ breast like St. John or delighting in his infancy like St. Joseph.

I am grateful that you follow me around, St. Joseph. You make miracles happen in my life. Thank you.

And you delight in giving gifts-- like humorous children today on the feast of one of your biggest fans.
I asked the students this morning to draw pictures of their favorite part of Christmas vacation. Some drew Christmas trees with presents, others sketched family dinners, and one little girl drew the YMCA.

“My dad went to the YMCA to unswollen his foot in the hot tub; it’s like a whirlpool,” she explained.

A boy in the front row rested his chin in his hand. “That sounds dreamy,” he mused.

Well God, you put dreams in St. Joseph’s heart. And You certainly inspire your creatures with a variety of imaginings. Help me to rediscover the dreams in my heart and work miracles there so I simply delight in your will – at this point in my life. Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment