Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Never Alone

We're reading Charlotte's Web in my class right now...before Wilbur met Charlotte he was very lonely. I asked the children to write about loneliness in their journals. 

Most of my students had no problem thinking of a time when they felt lonely. One child wrote about when his sister locked him of his room; another child felt lonely when his neighbors played without him.

Two children could not identify with the experience. 

One of my girls could only empathize-- she said that her parents felt lonely when she went to a friends house to sleep over. 

And one of the boys could not imagine ever being alone. 

"It's really hard," he said trying to think of what to write. "Because Jesus is always with me."

Thank you, Jesus! I need to remember this simple dependence and pure trust daily.

Matt Mahr's song All the People Said Amen captures this child's Truth and conveys the ultimate necessity of God's healing love; it is an anthem to me when I feel lonely. The tune begins:

"You're not alone if you're lonely 
When you're feeling frail, you're not the only 
We are all the same, in need of mercy 
To be forgiven and be free
That's all you got to lean on 
But thank God it's all you need..."

In reality, God, You're the only one that can fill the deepest recesses of my heart. 

Lord, help me to be childlike and fall into the safe merciful peace of Your Sacred Heart whenever I feel lonely. Through Mary, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment