Sunday, July 6, 2014

Jeep Wave

The "Jeep Wave" could quite possibly save the world. I road in a Wrangler today and received five waves in a half hour. It's a simple hand flick from one Jeep driver to another -- a quick affirmation of the cool decision to drive that brand of vehicle, and perhaps a recognition of the joy it is to be human, alive (and drive a Jeep).

My cousin introduced me to the Jeep Wave about a month ago. I saw him in the seafood section of the grocery store. He happily sauntered (because he has a bro walk) from where he worked behind the counter to whip out his phone and show me pictures of his latest off-road Wrangler adventures. He found about 20 other Jeep enthusiasts on an online forum; they met at a turnpike exit and traveled together on mud covered trails through the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

Excitement and spontaneous joyful chuckles rang from his low, cool voice as he told me all the improvements he made to his Jeep (like a Eagle roof decal with his name on it designed by my brother). I shared the only knowledge I had on the topic: my neighbor seemed to have refinished his Jeep the other night, but it looked like spray paint to me (I've no idea the look of a proper paint job).

He laughed because he knew the guy immediately upon mention and confirmed that it was spray paint; his friend couldn't afford a real paint job, but my cuz affirmed the vehicle looked better black than its former two-toned complexion.

So I learned about the Jeep wave at the fish counter. And I learned today that there's a Harley Davidson motorcycle sign of acknowledgement (like a low peace sign, I believe), and a Mini Cooper Wave.

This is all very cool and a great source of amusement to me. But what if I relate it to God? Yea, just upped the ante, bro.

What if I gave a little wave to everyone I saw not just because we happened to wear the same brand of sunglasses (like what's with Ray Ban anyway?) but because we actually all have the same Maker. And not only that, but we're all made in His image. What? Yea, that'd probably save the world.

When I went to Rome a couple weeks ago, I told my traveling buddy who talked about her boyfriend a good amount, that "Love would save the universe." I actually said it almost as frequently as she mentioned her beau so she'd know just how in love she was.

It became a little joke. But the reality is, Love already did save the world. Now I just have to live out that Good News.

Hey, neighbor, how you doin today?


No comments:

Post a Comment