Friday, July 11, 2014

Secret Life of Slurpees

Last night and today were a bit like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. 

Walter Mitty pretends fantastical things happen in his life, but after he realizes how dull his life has become he actually does them. 

My life is not boring; I have a strong imagination like Walter, and perhaps a tendency to use the thought of adventure as an escape, but nowadays I strive to find the ordinary remarkable.

So, yesterday my friend and I got all day free parking at a $14 lot because the power went out shortly before we arrived to get the car, and the machines weren't working. 

After I climbed the Himalayas and fought ninjas in my dreams, I woke up at 10:34 today for 11 a.m. Mass at the cathedral 20 minutes from my friend's apartment. I got in my titanium rocket ship and made it at 11:05 because the Mother of God got me a metered spot across the street from the church. 

(The Himalayas, ninjas and rocket ship are creative embellishments just like the movie!)

And then my adventures got more real...

When I returned, a car full of young ladies pulled up at my friend's house with free Slurpee's in hand and told me how happy they are to be alive.

One even offered me her cherry coke concoction.

I ended up behind them in my car and one of the young women waved out the back window until she could no longer see me.

Two friends met me at an adoration chapel that evening, and when I got back to the apartment again, another friend drove up, blasted his radio and stood on the roof of his car to dance while I kicked up the driveway dust in solidarity. 

We decided to have an impromptu party and about 15 people split up like Rat Race and hit the grocery stores for refreshments.

Then we sat on the porch with a grill, iPhone stereo and told stories, danced, joked and played games.

Reality can be an adventure.

Thank you Jesus for spontaneous little gifts and childlike messengers of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment