Friday, May 30, 2014

Floating Kale Christmas

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” – James Oppenheim, American novelist and poet.

My roommate told me this quote earlier today when I thought aloud of all manner of future plans. Later we had kale smoothies—a gift in the present.

“It tastes like Christmas,” she remarked after we clinked glasses and sipped the greenish, pinkish concoction.

Our faces both puckered and we laughed.

What is that stuff? A dash of cinnamon, the juice of one lime and half a lemon, a handful of berries, two cups of kale, a kiwi, the eye of a newt, the skin of a python…

Maybe we’ll try a different variation next time…
Yes. I made a kale smoothie for the first time ever. And it did taste like Christmas.

I also taught first grade for the first time this year.

(It’s true. I am a daughter of God. And I am a first grade teacher.)

At times I feel inadequate because I wasn’t trained as a teacher and I had little time to prepare for this year. But inadequacy is not who I am, and I can be a better teacher if I read about education this summer. So I will.

In the meantime, I will relish in the happy forest at my feet.

It was Religion time the other day at school and I knelt with my students on the red rug near the prayer table. My eyes were nearly shut for our minute mediation when one little girl decided it was a good time to leap into my arms, curl her legs around my waist, throw her hands in the air and shout, “I’m floating!”

“I’m floating?!" And you’ve impulsively secured yourself to my body?

I could not contain my laughter. Not even after a couple of minutes. I was shocked and amused.

There’s no sense of boundaries with kids. They don’t watch safe environment videos. They are innocent and vulnerable, courageous and funny. They are who they are and they exemplify to me in this moment the way to heaven. Thank you, God.

So, happiness... Kale smoothies? Maybe. Time with my roommate? Yes. First grade antics? Yes. Right now? Yes.

There is a time a time to plan and a time to float. Right now is the time for me to float in the arms of Jesus: legs wrapped tight, hands up, head back and a glorious shout of freedom—“I’m floating!”
Thank you Jesus for little daily presents.







No comments:

Post a Comment