Monday, May 12, 2014

Bean Salad and First Grade Crap

Stories are important. And staying in one place is important too--so I can listen better. 

"Be still and know that I am God" is a Bible verse I've prayed daily for four years and I'm just starting to realize now how important it is.

When I am still, I am present. Then, I can more easily recognize tidbits of joy around me...

Like lying in a hammock today, and feeling like I was being held in the womb of creation! Or taking a bath, or making beautiful, gourmet bean salad. Or enjoying my first graders.


Here's some more life glitter:

I read Pope Francis' book The Joy of the Gospel in the bath. My bookmark fell out and got soaked. Ironically it was a picture of a swimmer for the verb game in my classroom and it said "swim" on it.

In car line conversation after school I asked my student, "What are your chickens' names?"

"I only know mine," he replied.

"What is it?" 

"Flapper II." 

"What happened to Flapper the first?" 

"He died." 

Oh yeah, how could I forget that he was eaten by wild animal? 

I shared the story at a party later that night; my friend said her husband babysat for kids whose hermit crabs were named "Smiley Face" and "Wizard."

Earlier that day my kids began to make scrapbooks of their first grade experiences. One child realized he needed a break before he was finished the last word of the title. 

He inadvertently forgot the "S" at the beginning of the word and stopped midway when he realized he needed to use the bathroom... "My First Grade Crap." There are so many ways this story could go... 

Just like the adventure of living in one place with Faith and the Holy Spirit...



No comments:

Post a Comment